Old January 4th 05, 01:38 PM
Will Reeve

Tx2 wrote:
In article ,
, a.k.a GB says...

"Venom" wrote in message
Anybody that buys a brand name computer is an idiot.

Let's see, now. I've built about 20 PCs in my time. Yet, recently, I
have chosen to buy in some Dell PCs for the office. One reason might
be that I am, as you say, an idiot. The other reason might be that
the Dells do the job I need for the office, and they cost 20% less
to buy in ready-built than the price at which I can buy the parts.

20% for not being able to support them *properly* when the machine
goes down is worth it is it?

"But I have 3 year on-site warranty" you say

Good luck then.

Personally, i'd spend the extra 20% (which is how much on a home brew
machine, £100?) and be able to replace stock parts.

Buying Dell is false economy, IMO

Remember you need to factor in the time taken to spec, order, build, test,
run-in the system, install the operating system etc. etc. your £100 has just
jumped to £500 at least (remember to also factor in the additional accounts
required to source parts from more than one supplier).

Keep well,

Will
--
Will Reeve