Old August 10th 04, 09:30 PM
Paul

In article , "Eric"
wrote:

Cool thx -- sorry for the misspelling.

The processors use all kinds of different sockets, enhancing the
margins for the companies involved. Interchanging is a thing of
the past.

S478 Your P4 Pentium
S775 Next gen P4 with LGA socket (aka socket T) - shipping now
S462 AthlonXP 32 bit processor
S754 Athlon64 single channel memory 64 bit processor
S939,S940 Athlon64 dual channel memory 64 bit processor

If you read the articles on Anandtech and Tomshardware, the
difference between a $1000 and a $4000 computer built to play
DOOM3, is the quality setting. Both computers can still play the
game. Compare the differences in the pictures between the quality
settings, and imagine how little of that you will be seeing while
actually playing the game.

ID software designed the game to work with a range of computers,
because otherwise they wouldn't be selling very many copies, and
Carmack would have to live on Kraft Dinner.

The best way to estimate whether you need a new computer, is to
play the game with your current computer. Adjust the quality for
a playable frame rate. No computer gets really high frame rates,
unless the quality is turned down. (Depending on your expectations,
you may be so disappointed with the game design, that you will be
glad you didn't spend money on an upgrade!)

With your current processor, a better video card might be the
right investment. But only if you were using something crappy
like an FX5200 currently. If you own a 9800 or 5900 type card,
just set the quality down a notch, and enjoy.

HTH,
Paul

"Shawn Barnhart" wrote in message

"Eric" wrote in message
Is there any problem with non-intel processors (like the Anthlon) in

this
moboard?

I"m thinking of swapping out my P4 2.6 GHZ Intel for an Anthlon -- since
Anthlons get much better performance on Doom3.

What are the issues with swapping out? Would I need to reinstall my OS

(Win
XP)?

I don't mean to be cruel, but if you did some more reading about the
"Anthlon" (sic), you'd realize that (a) it's spelled "Athlon" and (b) it's
not compatible with an Intel-socket motherboard. It requires a

motherboard
with a socket appropriate for the CPU, which in turn is dependent on which
Athlon CPU you want to use -- the Athlon name has been applied to a number
of different CPUs.