Old January 26th 17, 08:25 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
micky

Default Does more memory require a more powerful fan?

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Wed, 25 Jan 2017 00:10:57 -0500, Paul
wrote:

micky wrote:

I havent' done much work yet but these programs disagree about the
temperatu

Core Temp 1.5 says my cores are each from 35 to 37C.
Anvir says my CPU is 40C, though that's the same temp it says my C:
drive is. And
Speccy says each of my cores is varying from 40 to 48C. Just getting
mail for a few seconds will raise the temp, it seems.

Quite a discrepancy, if you ask me. I looked other times too and
Core-temp is always 5^C (9^F!) lower than Speccy. Don't they use the
same sensor?

The digital temperature sensors produce a raw number which
is relative. You must know the Tmax, to convert the raw
measurement to a value humans can use. Let's say Tmax is 100C
for my CPU, and the measured digital value is "70".

100 - Trel_measured = 100 - 70 = 30C.

When two programs carry out the same math, they must use
the same value of Tmax. Nobody tells them what to use.
It doesn't appear there is a special function register
with the manifest value of 100 stored in it. Different
processor families have a different value of Tmax.

This, from the Core Temp FAQ might be related to this:

"Why is the temperature of my FX, Phenom, Athlon based processor lower
than the ambient temperature?
Starting with the Phenoms, AMD's digital sensor no longer reports an
absolute temperature value anymore, but a reading with a certain offset,
which is unknown. It is estimated that this offset is between 10 - 20c."

And then, CoreTemp and Anvir can arrive at a different
"number for humans", because of the way Intel makes it work.

The CoreTemp measurement, has a sensor-per-core. But you
will notice that the offset/gain errors on the channels
are not the same. The error is worst at low temps (the
readouts from two cores could differ by 7C). When the
chip is blazing hot, all the channels should read
very close to one another. The chip in this example,
isn't even remotely close to blazing hot - the heatsink
is too big for that (overkill).

https://s30.postimg.org/x3sxf96n5/prime95_jump.gif

I tried clicking on another tab, but it doesn't work.

If you scroll down this page, you can see the size
of the cooler I use. I only run it with the
center fan in place.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...-review,1.html

Big enough! I never heard of Noctua before two nights ago, when I saw
their 3" fans for $16, but then I read that Dell fans were different and
decided to get a fan originally made for a computer like mine. I bought
it on ebay at 4AM monday, it wasnt' at the post office until 3PM, and it
was delivered at 11:30 AM Tuesday, from 120 miles away. "Fast and
free" shipping, USPS first class mail. Certainly was fast. The
post office must use computers to get it to make connections this fast.

Paul