Old January 26th 17, 03:39 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
micky

Default Does more memory require a more powerful fan?

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 24 Jan 2017 22:13:35 -0500,
"Mayayana" wrote:

"micky" wrote

| Speccy says each of my cores is varying from 40 to 48C. Just getting
| mail for a few seconds will raise the temp, it seems.

I don't know either of those programs, so I don't
know what to think. I just tried Core Temp and I
get a temp of 63F, while HWMonitor is telling me
91F.

Wow! I forgot that I have Hardware Monitor too. It pretty much agrees
with Speccy, though nowhere near exactly, and sometimes one is several
degrees higher than the other, and Core Temp still shows several
degrees lower than either.

I see that Core Temp has a screen called Adjust Offsets, where you can
choose a number to corrrect the temperature! I would do that if I were
sure what correct is. I guess they know they are wrong.

Core Temp also offers to do a variety of things if it gets too hot, and
it would be my favorite program of the 3, but it keeps closing on its
own, I think. Five times so far. I don't know if that's because I
haven't contributed any money, but otoh, I'm not going to contrtibute if
that won't fix it. I read the help screen and it doesn't say anything
about timing out.

I made the mistake of closing Hardware Monitor, I can't find an icon for
it, and when I search for it in the windows key, search field, I don't
find it. I think it starts on startup but the icon in the systray is
gone for now.

I'm guessing HWMonitor is more accurate.

The top temp you're getting is only 118F. The top
sustained allowable is apparently somewhere around
60C or 140F for AMD. So it doesn't sound like your
CPU is running excessively hot. On the other hand,
that doesn't tell you how it's running when it's at
full tilt.

Well what got me alarmed in the first place is that Speccy has 2 or 3
colors for the temperature number, and it was going for yellow to red
fairly often, but its number never actually got that high, and the other
two programs are not upset. (Speccy shows oodles of other things too.)
Core-Temp seems to actually look in a table that has my cpu processor
listed -- for example it lists the TJmax** -- so like I say, if it
will only stop stopping, I'll contribute.

Isn't TJmax a clothing store? Maybe they make processors too.

So I think I panicked for nothing, but when the memory comes, some time
between tomorrow and 2 weeks from now, I'll clean the insides. IIUC
there is no CPU fan and they call the case fan, just behind the grill, a
CPU fan. I think they had a shroud over everything, to route the
breeze past the CPU, so I can't tell how dirty it is until I take that
off.

I also bought a replacemnt fan, used, for $7. I bought it at 4 in the
morning on Monday and it arrived at noon on Tuesday, USPS first class
postage. But it came about 100 miles from Salisbury MD to Baltimore, in
one day. That's pretty good.

As to the grill dust, I got rid of that by putting my mouth up to it and
blowing . It took about 5 times to get each section. Since I can't
use a vacuum cleaner, I may use either the solder sucker bulb or my
mouth to blow the stuff away. Sure a little will resettle in the
computer but only 2 or 3 percent.

Then again, you didn't say anything about the CPU.
I haven't used Intel since the 90s, so I'm not sure
what's normal there. You might want to check what's
normal for your CPU.

If you have AMD make sure you've enabled Cool 'n
Quiet in the BIOS. The name is silly, but it's a clever
technology that keeps the heat down by shutting
off the CPU for microseconds when it's not needed.

Ha! But I've got Intel.