Old February 12th 05, 02:12 PM
Martin

"Marcus" wrote in message
om...
I see what appears to be a very good deal for 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz
Memory CL3. I was thinking of getting 2 sticks for my ECS K7S5A
motherboard. It is an older board (about 3 years). The specs say it
can handle max of 1GB RAM DDR. The max FSB is 166mhz I think. Will the
memory mentioned above work on this board?

Thanks for any feedback.

Marcus

(Don't quote me on this!)

The K7S5A Pro won't boot with a 166FSB - a limit of an on-board oscillator
or timer i read.
So other than the 133FSB, you'd then need to (incrementally) overclock the
FSB using the BIOS (You'd need to flash an overclocking BIOS - easy enough).
I remember a ~150FSB being a realistic overclock - the K7S5A Pro would still
boot.

Once booted into Windows (if that's your OS), you can (or should be able to)
software overclock the FSB to 166 (maybe more?) successfully using Speedfan
utitlity.
(Untested by me).

Or you can just let the memory run at 133FSB - but not benefit from it's
full potential.

I'm itching to ditch my K7S5A Pro and 512MBs of PC133 and get an
Athlon64....
I don't think there's point in wasting money upgrading such an antique
motherboard!

Martin.