Old December 3rd 09, 03:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Bill

Default Seeking compatible RAM for system

"peter" wrote in message
I have confidence in G.Skill Ram.
Had some running on an older socket 939 mobo for about 2 years.
Sat on the shelf for another year and then put the unit back together
to give to someone...been running without problems for another year so
far.

Looking at buying almost the same setup except want the Ripjaw 1600 Ram.
Good Value for the money with a little headroom left for OC'ing.
The 860 chip has build in memory controller which limits the voltage to
1.65
So your under that limit and still have room to OC slightly.

peter

Thank you for mentioning that about the 1.65 volts for the CPU--that maybe
very helpful information.
I don't have much overclocking knowledge: do you anticipate running an
Intel-860 with memory speed
close to 1600 (I saw that memory for the chip is stated at 1333 at
intel.com)? If so, do you use extra
cooling? Just curious. -Bill

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"Bill" wrote in message
I am planning to buy Intel-860 CPU, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard, a
Gigabyte fan-less graphics card (Model: GV-N98TSL-1G), and I am seeking
excellent RAM. I will not overclock.

I was looking at the following RAM because of the low latency. I thought
maybe since it was 1.5v (and not higher) that it might produce less heat
than some of the alternatives (I'm not really sure whether to expect this
to be true or not).

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3
10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail

I would prefer to buy a more familiar name even if it cost a few dollars
more. Being sure the RAM is compatible with the MB is very important,
and reliability/stability is very important. I run systems for a number
of years (passing them down...).

Is this a good choice for the memory or might you recommend another that
you have confidence with?

Thank you for considering my questions!
Bill