Old December 2nd 03, 09:36 PM
Paul Duffy

In article ,
says...
Paul Duffy paul at scim dot co dot uk wrote in message k...
What's a Dual Link DVI Convertor box?

Googled it and can't find an appropriate link.

IBM released a newer version of the T221 called the 9503DG5. It has
an internal refresh rate of 48Hz while the DG0, DG1, and DG3 have a
41Hz rate. The DG5 also comes with a dual-link DVI to 2x single-link
converter box. Dual-link DVI has 2 data channels to support up to
330MHz pixel clock. Single-link DVI maxes out at 165MHz. What this
means is that your Quadro FX 2000 would be able to drive the DG5 at
3840x2400@24Hz using just the dual-link connector. Supposedly the
Quadro FX 3000 has a special mode to support 3840x2400@48Hz using both
the dual-link and single-link ports when driving the DG5.

IBM's site still doesn't have much info on the DG5 but it's available
for sale.

OK Thanks for that....

IBM Brought out a BIOS/EDID upgrade for the others (I've got a DG3) to
address the frequency upgrade rate. I still can't visualise what you
mean by this dual link DVI box....

I know about the Genlock on the 3000 but I still don't think that would
fix this problem (but I haven't seen the drivers yet!!).

The problem is the way 'Application control' takes over the card and
chooses the resolution. If the Quadro 3000 does it the same way it'll
have the same fault. Unless the driver has an option to allow you to
present the monitor device as one monitor while it pushes it as two
monitors 'below the surface' what will always happen is that the
application forces the card to drive the 'first' monitor as 3840x2400
and therefore only uses one DVI and therefore drives at 12Hz.

Matrox with the new Parhelia HR256 actually drive the monitor using 4
DVI channels so can drive it at 48Hz...but in Windows you choose an
option to tell it you've got an appropriate screen and it then in the
Windows Screen Setup display shows it as a single monitor (even though
it's internally driving it as 4) and therefore application full screen
mode opens across all 4 screens.

I think we're going to end up buying Parhelia's for the next batch of
screens (it's only half a dozen) which is a shame because I quite like
the Quadro's and the drivers are stable (except for this one issue!!.

If Nvidia even came back to me and said they were looking at it that
would be good...but they seem to just be ignoring the question.