Old August 14th 08, 06:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Robert Myers

Default TheInquirer: 'Why AMD should merge with Nvidia'

On Aug 13, 6:26*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Beyond that, AMD's Fusion CPU/GPU looks like it will be a better bet for
floating point domination than Larabee/Nehelem combination.

"Floating point domination" could mean any number of things. If, by
that, you mean domination of HPC (including applications like
animation), we'll just have to see. Cost, power consumption, and the
usability and stability of the API will be more important than raw
flops.

Marketing will play a big role, and both IBM and Intel, which is the
real competition, are much better situated to get their products
placed. Both have a much better track record than AMD, which did make
some dents with Opteron and Hypertransport. I think that blip is
past, but, as I said, we'll just have to see.

Robert.