Old February 15th 05, 02:01 AM
BRH

Heckler wrote:
BRH wrote:

Heckler wrote:

Hi guys, hope some one can shed some light on a little problem I've
developed. Done some searching around but can't find anything about
this particular problem.

Firstly, the setup
Abit NF7S-V2.0 mobo
XP3200+ CPU
1GB Crucial PC3200
Radeon 9700 Pro
3x160GB Hard drives 1xIDE 2xSATA

Up until a few days ago everything as running smooth as silk. No
issues at all, I then decide to play a couple of games I've not
played in a while. Need For Speed Underground 2 and Toca Race Driver
2. Neither games are playable anymore. Front ends load fine, but
when you get into a race, FPS have dropped to 0. It's unplayable, the
countdown from 3 to start a race can take 20-30 seconds. This
doesn't happen in any other game, I've checked other racing games
(Colin McRae 2004) and that works fine.

All drivers are up to date, I've unistalled drivers and tried vid
drivers 4.10 thru 5.2, each time clearing out the old ones thoroughly
first. I've updated and checked DX, it's already got 9.0c installed,
run through dxdiag with no problems found.

I've unistalled games, installed to new locations, made sure they're
updated with latest patches. Nothing works.

Every other game I play works flawlessly, I've made no hardware
changes or additions to the base unit in months, apart from adding a
19" LCD monitor to replace my old 19" CRT one. But that shouldn't
cause any issues. It's a fast response monitor 16ms, and like I say
everything else works flawlessly. No problems with the games I play
most, BF1942, BFV, HL2, Doom 3, The Sims 2.

I just can't find any reason for this happening, I've tried
everything I can think of. Made every possible change in the vid card
settings, turned off all AA and AF.

Has anyone else come across the same problem?

Cheers

Hmm...I can't come up with a solution for you. All I can do is verify
that TOCA Race Driver 2 does play fine with a 9700Pro. I don't own
NFS-U2. (In other words, there is no software incompatibility).

The only thing that I can think of is that perhaps you're overclocking
either the vidcard or your system and these games don't like it?

Good Luck.

Both these games worked perfectly before Xmas, and apart from adding a
plug and play LCD monitor I've made no changes. Nothing else is affected
including Colin McRae 2004 which I believe uses the same game engine as
Race Driver 2.

It's baffled me, I've made no hardware changes at all, the only thing I
can possibly think it might be is something I've installed... Like MS
updates for XP Pro.

Vid card isn't overclocked, neither is the system I've tried it with and
without overclocking to test. Same results.

Sorry, but I'm out of possibilities. Have you tried posting this
question on rec.autos.simulators?