Old May 5th 09, 01:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rarius

Default Help deciding between two AMD CPU's

wrote in message
Will be ordering an Athlon 64 X2 for a M2N-SLI DELUXE MB shortly

Question I have is Whether to get the

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W
Dual-Core Processor

Total Reviews: 1416 4x winner customer choice award

or

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W
Dual-Core Processor

Total Reviews: 477

Seems the slower of the two is more popular.

The main reason the slower chip is more popular is simply the
price/performance ratio. The 6400+ is about 7% faster than the 6000+, but
I'll bet that it is more than 7% more expensive!

When I rebuilt a few years back, I wrote myself a little spreadsheet that
listed all the processors I was interested in, their price and their
performance at stock and overclocked. It quickly became clear that the Q6600
was the best bang per muck in my price range... I was only looking at Intel
CPUs, but the principle is the same.

Rarius