Old July 12th 07, 08:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default My Compaq Presario Is Driving Me Nuts

On Jul 11, 11:15 pm, monkeygland wrote:
My Compaq Presario (SR1 299AN) is so LOUD! The computer fans often
turn on, and the sound can be overwhelming. I'm not sure why, but it
particularly goes nuts when I open microsoft word and type manually -
and I'm forced to type because the racket drowns out dragon naturally
speaking ( I have RSI and would prefer to use speech recognition).

And yes, I often clean them to remove dust, etc. So my question is:
what can i do to fix this? Can I replace the fans with something less
noisy and/or constant, etc?

thanks in advance

Yes, it is generally still possible to arrange passive cooling. Or at
a minimum replace the fans with quieter models. (large, slow fans can
provide better (and quieter) airflow than small, fast fans).

Caveat: may void warranty.

Laptop:no. Or at any rate, very difficult.