Old May 4th 04, 11:46 PM
Peter Harrington

Alan the tech support guy at DFI nailed this one. The DFI bios had a
problem correctly recognizing the Western Digial drives when set to auto.
By changing the setting from Auto to LBA, the system was able to boot. It
runs about 5% faster than my Epox 8RDA+ with equivalent settings and
hardware.

If you install any DFI motherboards or Award BIOSs, I highly recommend
updating the BIOS as a first step.

Best wishes,

Pete

"Peter Harrington" wrote in message
Hi:

I just installed a DFI Ultra Infinity Board with an 2600+ XP Mobile in my
system. The system booted and allowed me to install the drivers that came
on the CD and a windows update. On my next boot, the the screen went

blank.
I can get the system to post, but it refuses to boot. I am running

Windows
XP Pro. I pulled the disk out and it seemed to be intact, so I backed up
all of my files.

I then repartitioned and formatted the disk. I cannot reinstall windows,
because the system can't find the boot sector. A little searching

revealed
of the MS knowledge base, revealed that this error will occur with bios's
that do not support large drives. I have a 60 GB WD drive that I'm trying
to boot off of.
The system booted at least several times with old operating system, so I

am
surprised that the system won't recognize the boot sector. I will try an
reflash the bios with the newest version tomorrow.

I am wondering if the board died. Any suggestions or diagnostics. I did
read the reviews of DFI boards at newegg, and they do seem to have a
reliability problem.

TIA,

Pete