Old July 6th 04, 01:20 AM
Pseudo Namen

"rstlne" wrote in message
Taken from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...y/default.mspx
"Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 is a new Windows XP operating system
available only on Media Center personal computers. Because of its special
hardware feature requirements, Media Center PCs running Windows XP Media
Center Edition 2004 are available only from Microsoft PC manufacturer
partners."

So your saying they wouldnt do something like....
So .. Yes it does happen...
"Windows XP 64 is a new Windows XP operating system available only on 64
bit
personal computers. Because of its special hardware feature requirements,
64
bit personal computers running Windows XP 64 are available only from
Microsoft PC manufacturer partners.""

You seem to be leaving out the fact that the person in charge of Windows XP
64bit Extended edtion stated that this OS will be available by just
purchasing a 2 dollar cable. Just as I purchased Windows XP Pro OEM with a
3 dollar mouse.

"4. The OS will be sold through System Builders and Distributors.
You can either purchase it pre-installed on a system builder PC or just
purchase the OS with some piece of hardware. As Darrell mentioned on
another thread, this can really be anything (a cable, for example).... "

And you leave out the part about trading the license.

" "EXISTING 64-BIT SYSTEMS..."
Finally - I am working on something that would let you trade your 32-bit XP
Pro license for 64-bit. Nothing final here... no details... but the point
is that we want to take care of the people who go out and buy or build x64
systems before we ship."

I ask why, to the above?

And I close with another quote:

"At the end of the day my colleagues and I work on this project for a
reason - we (you and I) are the people driving the transition into the next
phase in computing. Our job isn't to squeeze money from your pockets or
make this hard for you - we want to make it *very* easy."