Old February 1st 09, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bubble Butt

Default PC to Plasma TV. Two video cards or One with dual output?

"Sam" wrote in message
I have a Gateway GT5453E computer with a Gateway ECS MCP61-P AM2
Mother Board (on board NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nforce 430 128mb
Video. I am getting tired to having to disconnect the vga wire from
my monitor to then connect to the plasma. I would like my plasma to
be permanently connected via vga cable to my computer. I was hoping
to put in a used video card I had, as a second video card to to the
trick. But for some reason, when I tried to install two different
pci video cards, my computer would not recognize them. Are the older
video not compatible, if so I would buy a new one. Or is that not
the best option either. Would disabling the on board video card, and
buying a video card with dual output be the better option? You would
think having two video cards would work better since they both have
their own processors doing the work. I am not looking for state of
the art video card, just something that will do the job and not cost
too much. What would you recommend? Thanks

I've never used two video cards at the same time but it should work. I have
one mb that has PCI-E 16x, PCI-E 1X, AGP and PCI. In theory I should be able
to run 4 separate video cards on that mb at the same time. Matrox makes a
video card that will work on PCI-E 1X. For simplicities sake I would just
get your self a new video card with dual output. I recommend Nvidia over ATO
for this purpose too because their Nview software gives you a lot more
options for dual monitor setup than ATI does. But I have my 4870 hooked to
my HDTV because my other PC with Nvidia card is already running dual monitor
setup. You have two choices to hook up to your HDTV with one video card that
has dual DVI. Use VGA adapter on second video card DVI connection (all video
cards with dual DVI give you one of those adapters in the box) or get
yourself a DVI to HDMI cable. The latter is the method I use and a 15 ft.
DVIHDMI cable only cost me $35.00 CAD from NCIX. Try to avoid retail stores
for this cable because most do not even sell DVI to HDMI cable and do not
even carry 15 ft. I see Walmart is selling HDMIHDMI 20ft. for $100.00 CAD
but then you will need DVIHDMI adapter too and up here I see them going for
as high as $50.00 which is a big rip off. ATI 48xx series video cards give
you one of those in the box. I recommend getting a DVIHDMI cable online and
using that method.