Old July 30th 07, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Default 1440x900 on a FX5200 128Mb AGP 8X

"Kroma" wrote in message
My trusty FX5200 128mb AGP 8X has given excellent service over the past 4
years. I hope it will continue to do so but...

Well, after 4 years, you've certainly gotten your $50's worth...

I'm hoping to upgrade my monitor from a 17" CRT to an LG L194WT 19"
Widescreen Monitor with a 1440x900 native resolution.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125736

I can't find any sold evidence online that my graphics card will support
this resolution and, if it does, what will the available refresh rates and
colour depths be?

The monitor should come with a driver disc. Use that or download it from
http://gb.lgservice.com . The monitor drivers, when installed, will add
1440x900 to the slider in Display Properties.

Would I be likely to find that my system slows down at all or would that
not be related to the graphics card?

In 2D, 1440x900 poses no problem for any modern video card, including yours.
In 3D the FX5200 is slow in any resolution on any monitor. :-)

I currently run at 75Hz and have become so accustomed to it that 60Hz is
now unbearable to be.

LCD panels use fundamentally different technology. Because each liquid
crystal element remains steady until it needs to change, there is no
flickering. 60 Hz on an LCD is far easier on the eyes than 75 Hz on a CRT.

Is it true that connecting via DVI allows greater resolutions and refresh
rates?

Nope. Because DVI allows for an all digital connection between the video
card and monitor, a DVI-connected monitor requires fewer adjustments with
regards to geometry, pincushion, moire, timing, etc. to achieve a "perfect"
picture. DVI may also give a slightly sharper image.