Old July 29th 07, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Patrick Vervoorn

Default 1440x900 on a FX5200 128Mb AGP 8X

In article ,
Kroma wrote:

My trusty FX5200 128mb AGP 8X has given excellent service over the past 4
years. I hope it will continue to do so but...

I'm hoping to upgrade my monitor from a 17" CRT to an LG L194WT 19"
Widescreen Monitor with a 1440x900 native resolution.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125736

I can't find any sold evidence online that my graphics card will support
this resolution and, if it does, what will the available refresh rates and
colour depths be? Would I be likely to find that my system slows down at all
or would that not be related to the graphics card?

Can't say for certain for your card, but I have an even older Ti4200 card
which drives a 1680x1050 LCD screen, via de DVI-port, without any
problems...

I currently run at 75Hz and have become so accustomed to it that 60Hz is now
unbearable to be.

Is it true that connecting via DVI allows greater resolutions and refresh
rates?

Actually, when you switch to an LCD, refreshrates becomes more or less
irrelevant, since LCD don't need to be refreshed like CRT had to be.

So even if the LCD you're looking at claims it has a preferred resolution
of 1440x900 @ 60Hz, you won't be looking at a 60Hz 'flickery' image like
you would be on a CRT.

Best would be to perhaps try to look at this screen, in real life, in a
store nearby, so that you can then also play a bit with the screen's own
controls, and perhaps review the settings of the PC driving that screen.

Image quality between different brands of LCDs differs a lot, at least,
that has been my experience when I went shopping for one...

Regards,

Patrick.