Old February 22nd 06, 10:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default What's the deal wwith Cyberpower?

"Bill H" wrote in message
Well the subjectssaid it all?

Ah, yes. Cyberpower. I'd so forgotten about them.
My experience with them was basically good, but troubling.
The computer arrived with a dead CD-burner. When I was finally able to get
in touch with tech support, they told me to send the drive back and they'd
send me a new one. I did and installed it myself. However, I can see how
that might be a troubling experience for someone not accustomed to opening a
case and actually putting a screwdriver to delicate electronice components.
But my machine worked fine after that. And the price was great.
Looking at various user comments about them after that, I saw that some
people had big problems with them, others had small problems like mine. We
all were lured by the price, which seems to beat everyone else.
This is obviously not a fly-by-night operation if you judge it by the amount
of full-page, full-color ads they by in magazines. (Note: IBuyPower.com is
the same company and they also buy lots of ads in the same mags where
Cyberpower ads are running.) Unless the computer mags are giving away the
pages, I'm thinking that's a hell of a lot of money the company has on hand
to shell out. I just wish they would put more money into customer service
and into making sure they're not using components that have a tendency to be
DOA or to fry quickly (at least according to the complaints I'd seen).
I was really tempted to roll the dice and buy a second computer from them
last year until I came across KC Computers, http://www.kc-computers.com/ .
Check out their ratings on resellerratings.com and you'll see lots of
satisified customers.

And yes, Cyberpower's 24-hour burn-in seems to be a lie, judging from how
quickly they get the machines out the door after you order. On the plus
side, that means you get your machine sooner. On the minus: if you think
you're getting a more reliable machine because of the burn-in time, you're
not.

My Cyberpower machine was still running fine as of last August. So was the
machine I bought from KC. Unfortunately, both were lost to Hurricane Katrina
and I have since replaced those two machines with purchases from KC
Computers.