Old February 18th 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Temp of Dual core system

"tazman" wrote in message
I have recently built the following computer :

AMD dual core 64 bit 4200+
ASUS 8AN-SLI mobo
2 gig Hynix DDR ram
256Meg 6600GT Pcie vid card
250Gig SATA-II Maxtor HD (16meg buffer)
Thermaltake 450 W power supply

this sits in a Full tower case with a fan sucking cool air in at the
front.
and a second fan at the back blowing warm air out of the case.

Now when at idle the CPU temp sits around 52c and the mobo chipset around
39c

When fully loaded, with both cores reporting 100% loading (running 2 seti
programs at once) the CPU temp shoots right up to around 79c

Are these typical temps for the dual core? or is there a problem.

The CPU is using the standard AMD heat sink and fan that came with the
CPU. and was installed using the stock thermal pad that came with it.

Has anyone had any experiance with water cooling.. Have had a look at a
Thermaltake unit and may just invest in one.

Cheers and Beers

Taz

Have you loaded the processor driver and enabled Cool n' Quiet, both under
the BIOS and under windows?

Sounds like you have not enabled Cool n' Quiet, and the processor is running
at full voltage and frequency all the time.

My dual core, with the standard CPU cooler, rarely goes above 40 degrees. I
have only two 120mm fans, one intake and one output. I am running 4 HDD and
two opticals.

Bobby