Old July 28th 05, 06:10 AM
Phil Weldon

'Robert Hancock' wrote:
| Unless he's using some wierd form of RGB input on the TV, it should not
| be possible to hurt anything. The video card cannot output anything on
| the TV out except for the normal frequencies for NTSC (or whatever
| standard the TV uses).
_____

Except that 'Philadelphia Frank' posted
"I'm having a little success using Powerstrip
changing frequencies, vertical and horizontal. The complication is
that it is trial and error. As I bounce around different frequencies,
I watch the screen resize and/or distort."

Don't you think that is a pretty good indication that the horizontal and
vertical scan rates ARE changing, and the output being used is NOT
composite?

Phil Weldon

"Robert Hancock" wrote in message
Phil Weldon wrote:
'Philadelphia Frank' wrote, in part:
| I just hope I can't hurt anything.
_____

Depends on what kind of TV you have. IF your television is a CRT, or a
CRT based projection TV, then it is possible to hurt something.
Televisions are not designed to handle a wide range of horizontal and
vertical rates. CRT televisions have very high power horizontal drive
circuits that also help produce the high voltage to accelerate electrons
toward the screen. Since you don't have a profile registered for the TV
you use, and since you are using Powerstrip, it is possible to set the
video card to horizontal rates that the TV set can't handle, and that may
cause damage. If you are lucky, your TV will just reject harmful rates.

Also, the video amplifiers in a TV set are likely to have a lower
frequency cut off. For higher horiziontal and vertical rates, the video
signal will have a higher frequency, and resolution will suffer.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from