Old August 31st 04, 12:23 AM
Phuc Tup

I have a Gainward FX 5900 Ultra, not overclocked. Its running 46
ambient 55 GPU right now. Immediately after Doom3, it would hit 60 amb.
70 GPU when running on highest settings, more like 50 amb. 60 GPU when I
ran it on the next highest setting. System has been very stable.

GTS wrote:
wrote in message ...

I recently bit the bullet and built a new machine: double Xeon

configuration

with a GeForce FX5900 by Gainward. The CPUs run in the lower 40s celcius,
which is excellent, but the GPU on the graphics card runs a bit hotter.

After the system has been up for a while X-windows or win-XP, the GPU
core temp registers in the upper 50s. the driver software shows a default
core slowdown temp of 140 celcius and this seems WAY HIGH!

What would be a reasonable operating temperature for the GPU and at what
temp should I flag a temperature alert?

The Xeon CPUS automatically throttle back at 71 celcius. This seems like
a much more reasonable value.

Did some doofus who wrote the driver software put a farenheit value in
as a default that should be listed in celcius?

Any thoughts?

I have a 5900 'vanilla' and idle temps are GPU 46-47c, ambient 35-36c
After gaming with i.e. Farcry the GPU reaches 65c or so.
You did'nt mention the ambient temp as stated in the Nvidia control panel -
so could it be poor case cooling? If you are using a 5900 XT or SE I think
they use smaller cooling solutions (my 5900 is a double-height card, using
up the space of the PCI slot below the AGP)