Old January 9th 04, 05:40 PM
NDF

"LRW" wrote in message
news:dIzLb.6604$8H.20661@attbi_s03...
Hi. I NEED to get a new video card...my last one blew out on me and I'm
stuck using an old Voodoo3 right now. I only have $100 to spend. I know

for
$50 more I can get a much better card, but I have what I have and that's

it.
=/
So I was looking at ATI's Radeon 9200, but then I noticed the GeForce
5200FX. Same clock speeds, I think same memory pipelines, same everything

it
looks like...except the 5200 advertises it's DX9 complant whereas the 9200
does not. Big point I think.
BUT, I've also read reviews where the Ti4200 actually is a lot faster of a
card than the 5200FX.
But, again, I know a lot more games are going to be coming out that are

DX9
because of it's easier programibility. Since I can never afford to get a
high-end card, or any card for years at a time, would it be better to get
the 5200 and get better performance from DX9 games or get a 4200 and be a
little faster but not great on future games?
Know that my "good" card before the Voodoo was a Radeon 7500...so it's not
like I'm used to going full anti-aliasing and using all the best features
anyway. I'm a moderate gamer. I like to at least be able to play current
games at good frame rates rather than worry about photorealism.
Knowing that, which way should I lean?

Thanks for any advice!!
Liam

If you are not that bothered about DX9 games, then get yourself an ATI
Radeon 8500.

Very fast card for DX8.1 and lower games. OpenGL not too bad either.