Old January 9th 04, 03:23 PM
LRW

Default 5200FX for a moderate gamer?

Hi. I NEED to get a new video card...my last one blew out on me and I'm
stuck using an old Voodoo3 right now. I only have $100 to spend. I know for
$50 more I can get a much better card, but I have what I have and that's it.
=/
So I was looking at ATI's Radeon 9200, but then I noticed the GeForce
5200FX. Same clock speeds, I think same memory pipelines, same everything it
looks like...except the 5200 advertises it's DX9 complant whereas the 9200
does not. Big point I think.
BUT, I've also read reviews where the Ti4200 actually is a lot faster of a
card than the 5200FX.
But, again, I know a lot more games are going to be coming out that are DX9
because of it's easier programibility. Since I can never afford to get a
high-end card, or any card for years at a time, would it be better to get
the 5200 and get better performance from DX9 games or get a 4200 and be a
little faster but not great on future games?
Know that my "good" card before the Voodoo was a Radeon 7500...so it's not
like I'm used to going full anti-aliasing and using all the best features
anyway. I'm a moderate gamer. I like to at least be able to play current
games at good frame rates rather than worry about photorealism.
Knowing that, which way should I lean?

Thanks for any advice!!
Liam