Old September 13th 05, 10:10 AM
.

In article .com,
says...
I had a 1600 that came with the blank off in place of the LCD. The
Compaq website revealed that the original model did come with support
for the IMD. However, the spot on the motherboard where the LCD cable
should connect did not have the pin header installed...just two rows of
soldered over pin holes.

You must check to see that the pins for the connector are present. They
should be near the top right corner of the main board, and will be
labeled "LCD Connector".

I would hate to even consider pulling the board out and trying to
solder on these two rows of pins! What a nightmare.

Jeff

OK I've pulled the system apart and had a prod around. There was nothing
on the main system board (first place I looked) but I did find it on the
backplane that the system expansion board plugs into. It's right at the
top of the box.

Now I've actually found *2* of these things:

P3: DIL20 header with one pin missing (polariser)
P4: DIL14 header with one pin missing (polariser)

Both are individually marked "LCD", so what's the difference, if any?
I'll go and grab a display off ebay, but I don't know whether it'll come
with a 20 or a 14 pin header, but obviously it's going to get plugged
into whatever's the right size.

Now... what does this give you?

I know it gives you diagnostics of some form, but this is my first
exposure to playing with these old enterprise servers and I'll assume
you can call up a list and display certain operating parameters, once
you've enabled the display in SCU.

That would be nice, as hardware-based system functions are always better
than software-based ones. I tried to get the Gentoo ebuild of hpasm to
go on my Proliant 5000, which didn't work because of some obscure snmp
error (I still gotta learn this snmp stuff) so it would be nice to see
this the easy way - just plug in a display and let 'er rip.