Old September 1st 05, 04:19 AM
Phil Weldon

'BillL' wrote, in part:
| Hi all, I've been asked to answer the following question by a friend of
| mine.
| .
| .
| 'What's the best way to get video and sound from the PC upstairs to the TV
| monitor in the kitchen? I want to use it as a video/music player.
_____

Several manufacturers make a video and audio over IP appliance. An ethernet
or wireless IP connection links the unit (located with the monitor or other
playback device) and the computer. A remote control allows access and
browsing of audio and image files on the computer system as well as DVD or
system video output. Some of these appliances are compatible with some of
the internet subscription services.

Some of these video/audio over IP appliances require Windows Media Edition
as the computer operating system, some don't. The cost runs between $200
and $300 US (only one unit is necessary for a single remote location as the
connection at the computer end is merely a 100 Mbit/sec ethernet or 54 Mbit
wireless connection.

Phil Weldon

"BillL" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all, I've been asked to answer the following question by a friend of
mine. As far as I can recall (I supplied the bits for his current box)
he's got a 64 MB GF Ti200 with TV out, 512 MB of RAM and a 1.2 GHz CPU
(I'm not sure about the CPU). The TV he's refering to is quite a new 22"
LCD (no HDMI input). I really don't think it'll be possible to have a 10
metre cable from the back of the video card to the TV (!!) so is there
anyway of achieving what my friend is asking - as per usual I know nothing
about sommething I've never been interested in doing!

With the music player option he's probably better just getting an 'off the
shelf" wireless MP3 system for the 'puter? Though why he'd want to play
music through the crappy built in speakers of the TV puzzles me somewhat.

BTW if someone wants to make me feel like an idiot with a blindingly
obvious suggestion please feel free ;o)

TIA

BillL

Anyhoo here's his question: -

'What's the best way to get video and sound from the PC upstairs to the TV
monitor in the kitchen? I want to use it as a video/music player. You
probably know better than I what connections are available on the back of
my PC. Minimise the number of cables if poss. coz its going to 10m ish
run.. The TV has got every conceivable input and output facility. VGA/S
video/DVD input/audio in/out etc.'