Old April 26th 19, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Failing HDDs

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 08:49:53 -0400, Larc
wrote:

The last time I bought a new HDD, I held out until WD Gold was on sale.

Damn, I should hold out for a sepia, Prussian blue, or cadmium orange.

(From an article in 2016...and "flavors" of WD
Blue, Green, Red, Purple, Black, and Gold.

Thus and so to make and thereby explain differences.

It all does sound so suspiciously like advertising to me.

Blue's for Joe Blow. I got that: $70, give or marginally take for a
4T unit sale I looked at a few days ago;- thing is, that's also the
market price it's most recently dropped to across averaged timetables.

Green got sued for short-shriving firmware into premature idle-time
shut downs;- the legal argument is premature failure. I got that
literally, as I bought one and did a firmware modification.

Greens are not made anymore, but [re]folded into marketing along with
the same Blue I saw. Unless a mention of gone greens I saw is wrong.

Black's performance. Gaming, for one.

Purple is 24/7 surveillance. (Too redundant for comfort to me.)

Red, I compared to the Blue sale I looked at: both "same series" in
Red and Blue. Red is a step faster, longer warrantee, (Blacks dnd
Golds are longest: five years), with evident popularity, besides, in
enterprise placement. And, there may, or not, be additionally a Red
Pro I haven't encountered;- there was in 2016 at least.

And last, for the grand finale -- Gold class at 2M hours MTBF.
Definitely new territory and one I haven't looked at.

WD's flagship, evidently, with these warranty specs -

2,000,000/24
83333.3333333/365
228.310502283

How spectacular. You can bequeath that to five generations at an
historical average ceded for 50 years (so used in Egyptology for
dating its dynasties).

At 2016 it would appear the largest WD as well possible at 10TB. I
would offhand guess prices at the time of your acquisition may have
ranged upwards of $400, if not excessively more;- with a sale
possibly to entail at least $200US.