Old April 26th 19, 02:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default Failing HDDs

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 17:51:15 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:

I have a couple of Seagate Hard Drives that Hard Disk Semtinel says
are failing. One is model ST2000DM001 and the other ST3000DM008. I've
removed both from my system and recovered the data, but I'm wondering
if there's anything that can be done to "save" the drives, perhaps as
backups, or is that a useless activity and I should just toss them.
Hard Disk Sentinel says one has an expected life of 5 days, and the
other 16 days. The problems reported are bad sectors, for example, for
the 3 TB drive:
56 bad sectors
3288 bad sectors during self test
4267 errors during data transfer
power on time 587 days, 3 hours
Est remaining lifetime 5 days
total start/stop count 11,804

so, can anything be done for them, or or they scrap.

Thanks for all the comments.
I was actually thinking.... I could put one or both in service as one
of my rotating backups. In that manner it would only be used once per
month, for only a few minutes. "5 days" could last months that way.
Yesterday I tried to run Seatools DOS, downloaded from the Seagate
site, but it looks like the GUI version doesn't work (on my setup at
least... it doesn't locate any drives), so I did a "long" format from
within Windows (5+ hours on the 3 TB). Results unchanged.... still
predicting 5 days. I did notice that this drive does run several
degrees hotter than any of my other drives that are in service. The
only one I've seen run hotter is a WD Black 3 TB that runs so hot I'm
afraid to use it in my system. (FYI, SSDs in my system run typically
27-28 C, HDDs about 33-35 C, and this 3TB Seagate pushes 40 C.