Old April 26th 19, 05:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Cows are Nice

Default Failing HDDs

On 04/25/2019 03:51 PM, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
I have a couple of Seagate Hard Drives that Hard Disk Semtinel says
are failing. One is model ST2000DM001 and the other ST3000DM008. I've
removed both from my system and recovered the data, but I'm wondering
if there's anything that can be done to "save" the drives, perhaps as
backups, or is that a useless activity and I should just toss them.
Hard Disk Sentinel says one has an expected life of 5 days, and the
other 16 days. The problems reported are bad sectors, for example, for
the 3 TB drive:
56 bad sectors
3288 bad sectors during self test
4267 errors during data transfer
power on time 587 days, 3 hours
Est remaining lifetime 5 days
total start/stop count 11,804

so, can anything be done for them, or or they scrap.

I would keep running at least one of them until failure, to find out if
the Sentinel's ominous predictions are accurate.

I've read that Seagate 3 TB drives were notoriously bad.
My very old 160 GB Seagate, model ST3160023A, has done well.
Reallocated sectors 0
Powered On 3 years, 8 months and 15 days
Power Cycle Count 7598

You know that Windows ruins hardware, don't you? Sad.