Old December 1st 08, 05:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default asus abmzn-la mobo, help find or replace plz!!!

Collon wrote:
Thank you both for helping.

Hey Paul, this is what I just bought:
ASUS M2NPV-VM (nVidiaŽ NVIDIA GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 chipset)

Paul, would you know for sure what processor I can buy on Newegg.com? I'm
certain I don't have dual core now, but the other two options on this mobo I
just ordered are Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64 Sempron. I don't have a clue
what the difference is and suspect I wouldn't even notice.

Also, am I gonna need that cpu glue for the new processor on the board?
Can't I just put it in and screw everything back without the glue?

Thanks again!

I realize you're in a rush to restore the computer, but as Kony
has just pointed out, everything has some kind of issue. And
research before you purchase is the key to success.

For example, you can research the supported CPUs that would fit
in the board. If the two motherboards use the same CPU socket,
then you may be able to reuse the old CPU. Or purchase a better
processor, according to your needs. (The old CPU, if it is still
working, might even come in handy for flashing the BIOS on the
new board, if it comes to that.)

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...model=M2NPV-VM

This processor is 65W and is a dual core running at 2.9GHz (5600+).
I picked 65 watts, because that should not stress the Vcore
regulator at all.

For review comments on that motherboard, you can look here.

(M2NPV-VM mobo discontinued, but comments are still available and valid.)

(The Asus forums can be slow at times, so be patient. 886 threads.)
http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

There are a lot of other boards you could look at, some of which
are quite complicated in terms of feature set. But at the
rate you're buying stuff, I doubt I could finish a
review in time, to suggest something else :-)

Paul