Old August 28th 06, 05:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Benefits of AHCI ?

Synapse Syndrome wrote:
I guess I can't use it anyway, with my RAID0 Raptors, but what does it do,
anyway?

ss.

It's the standard for Serial ATA devices.

The avdantage:

http://www.intel.com/technology/seri...pdf/rev1_1.pdf

"1.7 Theory of Operation
AHCI takes the basics of the scatter/gather list concept of Bus Master
IDE, and expand it to reduce CPU/software overhead and provide support
for Serial ATA features such as hot plug, power management, and
accessing of several devices without performing master/slave
emulation."

In a nutshell, supports new features, and reduces the CPU overhead.