Old February 24th 04, 08:54 PM
Colin Wightman

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:43:55 -0500, "DD"
wrotf:

The additional 4-pin power supply connector is for Intel Pentium-4 based
motherboards, most manufacturers provide it by default so that their PSU's
can be used with either sort of CPU.

I can guarantee that your 300W PSU is not providing sufficient power for
your computer, in fact you were probably straining it with your older
system. A PSU is the most-ignored and most critical component of your
computer, you definitely want to get at the very least a good-quality 430W
one, from a well-known manufacturer such as Enermax, PC Power & Cooling,
Thermaltake, et. al. You not only want enough power to run all of the
components of your system, you want some breathing room so the PSU is not
running right at the edge of its capacity, or it will deteriorate over time.

Here's a good article describing power supply units and how to find the best
one for your needs, and the right manufacturer :

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/index.html

DD

Thanks for the advice.

I've just installed a new Enermax 460W powersupply.

Sadly I'm still getting display corruption. For the first few
minutes everything seemed fine. Then yellow streaks started to
appear again.

Is it possible that the video card is overheating?

The rest of my system does not seem to be very hot. The
processor is running at a steady 43C and all the fans are
running normally

--
Colin Wightman