Old December 19th 05, 06:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default New hard disk architectures

Troll attempt to set followup to .chips undone.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Yousuf Khan wrote:
Arno Wagner wrote:
I don't think they're talking about using flash in the sense of a
dynamic disk cache, but as a static disk cache, or a ramdisk in other
words. Namely, they're aiming to cache the boot sequence into the
flashdisk to speed up boot times.

That would not make much sense IMO.

Why?

As to 4096 Byte sectors, I frankly do not see the point. Multi-sector
transfer stream more than 512 bytes on one go already. Clustering also
provides the possibility to use larger than 512Byte as allocatioon
unit.

Well, they explained it in article, they're saying that the reason this
is needed is because with only 512 bytes you don't have enough bits for
error correcting code with today's big hard disks.

That is nonsense. The size of the disk has no impact on the per-sector
error corection. Maybe they mean that with 4096 byte sectors they
can use more efficient codes.

Yeah, that's what they meant. ECC is taking up too much of the disk real
estate these days.

???? It's taking up the same percentage it always took up. Disks today are
approaching the size of large datacenters 20 years ago, so I find the
"taking up too much real estate" argument to be kind of silly.

The simpletons at T13 disagree with you:
"
4.21 Long Physical Sector Feature Set for Non-Packet Devices

The purpose of the long physical sector feature set is to allow increased
media format efficiency. During write operations devices calculate an er-
ror correction code, ECC, and write the ECC on the media following the data.
ECC encoding is more efficient when used over a larger amount of data.
"

And the idea is already 3 years old :
http://www.t13.org/docs2002/e01138r1.pdf

Yousuf Khan