Old January 10th 05, 02:46 PM
NightSky 421

"Nada" wrote in message

Has any hardware site offered input on the power consumption for the SLI?
I mean, this just has to drink more juice than your average PSU can offer.

That's a good point. I don't know of any hardware sites who have
specifically spoken about power requirements, but a dual video card rig is
something that requires some thought ahead of time. It was OK in the
Voodoo2 days, but here in the 21st century, power consumption and heat are
major concerns. You're going to need a monster power supply and a case with
excellent all-round cooling. This is especially true since you aren't going
to see dual video cards to (much of) their potential unless you have a
high-end processor, which means even more heat.

Right now, I have a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 Northwood C with a 9800 Pro video card
and dual 120GB 7200RPM hard drives. Last summer was brutal running that
computer sometimes because of the amount of heat it was spewing out. I
shudder to think what it would be like with two current-gen cards with an
even faster processor. I think such a computer in the hot summer climate
would strictly have to be a basement computer.