Old February 10th 05, 06:36 AM
PhilD

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
Turns out it may not be a USB 2.0 problem. The problem is when I
connect a Lexar Jumpdrive to one of the front USB ports. It works OK
when I connect it to a USB port on the back of the computer, but it's
a "Unknown device" if I connect it to a USB port on the front.
Everything else I have tried works when connected to a port on the
front.

Any ideas?

Most interesting.
I'm having the exact same problem with multiple Acer desktops at work using
my personal Lexar Jumpdrive Elite. Another brand, but older, is intermittant
on the front ports. I convinced my boss that I need one at work, so he let
me go buy one. I forget the brand I got, but guess what, it works
consistantly on the front ports.

All 3 of the USB drives are supposed to be USB 2.0 but obviously there is
something peculiar to some brands etc. All 3 also function perfectly at home
on K8VNXP, XP Pro SP2. Acer support advised downloading USB 2.0 driver from
Microsoft and trying that instead of the file available for that m/board on
their own web site. Haven't been able to find the Microsoft link, if
available, yet. Nothing in BIOS or physically inside seems disabled. Must
dismantle one and find out more about m/board.

Maybe someone here can help both of us.

PhilD

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:47:37 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
. ..
Hello;

I have a 8KNXP that is 1 1/2 years old and it appears that my USB
prots are not 2.0. I assume this means I need a BIOS upgrade (I have
version F5). I have a SATA mirrored SIL set. When I check the BIOS
updates it says;
-----------
Note! If your OS (like WinXP) is already installed on SATA HDDs under
ICH5R controller, please make sure to update ICH5R SATA RAID driver
from our IUCD 2.4 or Gigabyte website first, then update bios

Problem is that I'm not sure which driver to download. Can anyone
steer me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Regarding the ICH5R, you don't say whether you have rev 1.0 or 2.0 of the
8KNXP, but I think the drivers are the same either way:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Download/Download.asp?DownloadPath=/MotherBoard/FileList/Driver/driver_raid_intel_icn6r(5r)_2.0.exe

I take it you have SP1 at least applied to your XP as that is a
requirement
of USB 2.0. I can't see that the BIOS updates for this board are
connected
with USB 2.0, so your issue may lie elsewhere anyway.

Ian.