Old April 5th 04, 09:28 AM
Fishman

"Piotr Makley" wrote in message
Asrock and Asus motherboards are both made by Asustek. So what is
the main difference between them?

I am told that Asrock is a cheaper range so is one range positoned
to be cheap and the other to be more expensive but with more
features? Or do both ranges aim at broadly the same market but one
is built better than the other?

Any info welcome.

I have used quite a number of ASRock boards for socket "A" builds.
(Haven't built too many P4 based systems recently and where I have these
have needed a top of the range mobo with all the accessories)

K7S8X for several months, FSB up to 333MHz and more recently the K7S8XE
which does 400MHz FSB.
Also the K7VM2 where a uATX board is needed with o/b VGA.

All models are basic in that they have minimum bells and whistles.
The Phoenix bios offers little scope for overclockers.
Don't expect a manual which tells you how to build a computer and set every
bios setting.

There is however a cool video on the driver cd of some attractive Asian
female telling you how to build your PC, not too informative for the
experienced builder, but fun to watch. She struggles with her English
pronunciations a bit.

That said, all the ASRock boards I've used have behaved very well and have
performed flawlessly.
Rather like their sales literature ........ Solid as a rock ......ASRock

Compared to PChips, Elite or ECS and Syntax etc. these boards come at a
budget price without the budget bugs.

AAAA+ recommended.