Old April 13th 04, 08:48 PM
Roland Scheidegger

Yoyoma_2 wrote:
Yeah i clarified that in another post. The original intent was
because PCI-66mhz is still pretty slow, especially when handling
large data. PCI-X is really good but your right its not adopted yet.
But what would prevent a dual AGP slot motherboard? It could be
usefull when trying to render high-performance simulations that are
sectioned. Though i don't know if the bus supports it.

Don't confuse PCI-X with PCI-Express. PCI-X is just an extension of PCI
and well adopted (in the server market). PCI-X might die together with
PCI and be replaced with PCI-Express though I guess it will take some
time (those markets don't adopt new standards fast).

From what i know, PCI-X still won't have the same kind of access that
the AGP card has, like having not to go through a PCI bridge, direct
access to memory with textures etc...

I don't think PCI-Express will miss any features which might make it
slower than AGP (PCI-X possibly yes, but then again I don't think PCI-X
graphic cards exist). And AGP isn't really all that different from PCI
anyway (AGP1x was basically just PCI-66 (32bit), in fact on the good old
bx chipset the agp port can be used as PCI-66 instead - of course the
board manufacturer has to decide that).