Old December 11th 18, 07:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_39_]

Default PCIe , Was: Updating an XP box

Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:

Paul, Thank you for your detailed explanation. I got the point!
Maybe some details besides speed will emerge about these two
technologies. I've learned about the 4 or so types of "cell
technology", single, double, octal, etc.--though I may be
abusing their appropriate names in favor of how I think about
them.

Bill

Your computer is only as good as the weakest link.

The seek time of your two device types is low, and
much lower than a HDD. Either drive type would solve
the seek time problem.

The most visible improvement is at boot time. Some
other things, you might forget you got an SSD.

One other thing I noticed, is how much faster
a 32 bit OS boots (because it supports less RAM).
After the pudgy boot times on all the 64 bit OSes here,
I was kinda shocked about how fast the first
boot of the 32 bit system was. It got slower later
in the day, after I added some stuff in and it
did some updates. But at least what that showed
me, is the amount of RAM when I boot 64 bit, is
having an impact on how long I have to wait.
SSD or no SSD.

I think there is an option in the BIOS concerning how well that
you want your memory to be "checked" when the system is booted.
The entire purpose of that option is to be able to shorten the
boot time. You probably know more about this than I do...

Bill