Old August 29th 03, 09:11 AM
David LeBrun

Default Power Surge

Greetings
I'm currently restoring a system that was hit with a power surge where
the following were fried:
PSU
Motherboard
Hard Drive
CDROM
CDRW
Network (PCI)
Audio (PCI)
However the following components from the same system survived:
CPU
RAM (all 3 sticks that were installed)
AGP video
Modem (PCI)
Floppy
Speakers
Monitor
Keyboard/Mouse

I just find it curious that components I thought were sensitive to
voltage like the CPU and RAM would survive while other components
wouldn't. The core on the audio card actually popped (I found the
center of the silicon at the bottom of the case). I keep telling
people to get a UPS or a good surge protector but no one listens until
they have to pay $$$

Anyone else have a horror story to tell?

Dave.