Old May 24th 09, 09:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default Trying to get rid of hum/buzz from old case

Sjouke Burry wrote:
Jim wrote:
"CBFalconer" wrote in message
If you must use tinyurl, please also publish the original URL. The
tinyURL will not remain accurate forever, the original will last as
long as it is maintained. Also use of the accurate URL prevents
anyone from supplying evil links.

So no real help then, I post tiny URL's for a reason and that reason
being longggg URL's don't always aloow folks to click on them as they
get split up and according to TinyURL there links never expire, anyway
thanks Chuck.

I'll repost later with full URL's just to keep you happy.

Jim

Well, I am one of the people who never click on a tinyurl.
And always try to judge a long one .
If it looks fishy, I dont.(click)

The tinyutl.com site has a "Preview" feature. Go to the site, like this

http://www.tinyurl.com

and click the Preview feature. Make sure it is enabled. Then go back
to the OPs link, and paste that into a browser, as in

http://tinyurl.com/pttyb9

and when you do, it won't go to the URL directly. It will display
the URL, at the top of the web page. You can examine the link
and then use your normal "trust" analysis, to decide whether
you actually want to click on the original link or not.

As far as I know, the Preview state is cookie based. If you
clear your cookie cache a lot (like I do), it means
re-enabling Preview before using any tinyurl entries.

*******

Removing noise in a computer is difficult, and first
requires narrowing it down. For example, I had a buzz
in my case, and first thought it was a defective disk
drive. It turned out, not to be the case. Some sheet
metal near a case fan, is not riveted in place, and that
tends to resonate. That is my noise source.

Installing sound absorbing material, is a double edged
sword. On the one hand, it may attenuate some of the
noise. On the other hand, the computer case air
temperature rises when large amounts are in place.
If you wanted to maintain a constant temperature, the
larger fans required might negate the noise
improvements.

Mass and stiffness help. That is why I don't buy
aluminum cases, and buy SECC steel ones. They're heavier,
and for certain kinds of noise, damp it out better. But
noise is also transmitted through the air, and not
so easy to fix.

Zalman made two cases which use heatpipes to carry heat
to the outer wall of the computer case. The site currently
only lists the smaller of the cases. You cannot put high
power hardware in a thing like this, so the emphasis would
be on lower power selections. And even though every
effort has been made to eliminate cooling fans, a fan
may still be required if the case is overheating.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/...ad.asp?idx=186

Paul