Old August 2nd 08, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default Antec 1200 review. (53 positive points) (26 negative points, some of them are minor)

Also,

I didn't write anything about the noise levels.

I haven't had to chance to fully test it out for a long period of time...

So maybe I will write about the noise levels in the future.

From what I have heard/experienced myself it seems:

At low it's very quite. (The first I did notice some humming from the case..
like it was rocking back and forth or so.. but maybe it just wasn't placed
properly on the table... dont know about that.. I didn't notice it again)

I could actually hear the harddisk make noise... ? Is it because the case is
whisper quiet ? - Probably...

Or is it resonating/propagating a little bit through the case ? Or maybe
because of the open holes in the front ? - Probably not.

On medium it made some nice which probably would get annoying during gaming.

On high well speaks for itself... you ll go mad

But all in all no real humming... humming would be most annoying... but so
far it doesn't seem to be present.

When it's on low it's like your in the forest... with a little breeze
blowing kinda nice... it's not silent... but barely noticeable...

On medium it starts to blow a lot like wind past your ears one a bike with
wind or so.

It's kinda cool too.. being able to adjust the airflow and noise levels...

However this requires long exposures to be sure if it's annoying yes or
no...

I hope to find out for myself soon enough once I fix my PC

Cooling was pretty good at low... motherboard temperature rose 2 to 3
degrees...

However I have a huge top down cpu cooler... which is the zipang... which is
probably also probably helping to cool it a bit.

SLI is probably bad though... northbridge gets very hot... this case will
probably not help that much on cooling it unless the middle front fan is set
to medium speed. then the northbridge gets cooled a bit better and drops a
few degrees.

SLI is only possible if there is enough room for the graphics fan to suck in
cool air...

So at least one pci slot under the graphics cards needs to be open.

With my motherboard this would exclude any expension cards like the x-fi
elite pro soundblaster... when using dual slot graphics cards.

The onboard audio does use some cpu... which is definetly noticeable during
gameplay...

I will test sli a little bit more once my pc is fixed... to see how much
difference it makes in fps when playing cod 4.

What sli might gain in fps... is probably lots too the onboard audio... so
sli might not to that much to improve performance - pure speculation
though... must still be confirmed...

I know one thing for sure... a single 7900 gtx 512 MB is a pretty powerfull
card to run cod 4 at high resolution with some shadows and such off... and
still get decent 30 fps at 1920x1200 with 44 players. Also this was with
onboard audio and a single graphics card if I remember correctly... with
x-fi fps might go a bit up.. thanks to sounds being cached etc.

More testing still needs to be done to be sure though...

Bye,
Skybuck =D