Old August 8th 03, 09:18 AM
Ben Pope

BoroLad wrote:
90% of cooling/noise/vibration etc, and the associated
problems/benefits can be avoided by the often overlooked fundamental,
the hardly ever mentioned, the neglected building block of a new
system - the case
design.

Well I've got a Globalwin GAT-001, aluminium thing. I hope it's good! I
think cooling is reasonable in it.

Hope you get your stuff before the weekend, then let the build begin.
I notice someone on the ATi group managed to buy a "grandmar's" "red
L" 9500NP, cracking card with the capacity to 'softMOD' into a 9800
in mere seconds. I thought the pressure from ATi stopped
manufacturers making

these without a 'crippled' BIOS. If they are back on the market with
the capacity to re-open the unused x2 pipelines this board will be
worth keeping an eye on!

I still don;t think you can turn an R300 core into an R350 using software
alone...

I agree that if you're lucky, you might be able to get a 9500 to be an
overclocked 9700 that might perform similar to a 9800, but realistically you
still don't have support for some of the features a 9800 has.

Anyway, too late - I've already upset my bank manager, my Crucial 9800 Pro
is sitting in the case, plugged into the A7N8X Deluxe already...

Best of luck with your build mate, BoroLad

Cheers,

Ben