Old May 2nd 04, 04:04 PM
Ian Hastie

On Sat, 01 May 2004 19:27:23 -0400, AU wrote:

not me. it is running pretty neat.

Same here. Very nice board.

I'm happy that both of you have had such a positive experience with this
MB - it sets my mind a little more at ease, too. I was only concerned
because of what I had read on some internet forums (particularly this one:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...VIEWTMP=Linear).
Perhaps these were just isolated incidents; maybe it was human error...
whatever the case, I was probably worrying about it more than I should
have been (however, all versions of the Asus board are more sensitive to
memory modules than the Abit and MSI boards - I don't think anybody would
dispute that).

Well, my previous board was an Abit KR7A-133R. It would regularly fail to
access memory properly. It was almost impossible to get it to run
memtest86 without errors. The OS would seem to run OK, but I think that
was mostly because the type of operation that failed in memtest was an
uncommon one. I also found that if you had to reboot it too many times it
became necessary to power cycle it before it would read it's RAM again and
POST. It also never ran in uni-processor IO-APIC mode.

i dont really see the differences

Me neither.

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eluxe&langs=01
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eluxe&langs=01

None that should matter anyway.

Hmm... what exactly do you mean by that?

I'm not aware of any changes that lower the specification.

I don't care if the new Marvell
ethernet chip isn't quite as good as the 3Com, but if there is another
difference you noticed please tell me.

It's a bit more than "isn't quite as good." With the K8V SE Deluxe the
driver was not able to initialise the chip due to bad BIOS data. Should
be fixed by an upgrade, if it hasn't been already.

Thank you both for replying. Oh, if either of you read this, would you be
so kind as to tell me what brand/type of RAM you're using? That would be
helpful.

Two sticks of Crucial CT6464Z40B, as recommended by their selector. Just
for a bit of extra information. When I installed them I noticed the chips
were Infineon RAM. Didn't take a note of the model number though.

--
Ian.

EOM