Old April 18th 19, 01:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Can I virtually restore a PC?

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 21:41:41 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

I hate restoring hard drives from image files since I always fear
something bad will happen, though so farin the half dozen times I've
done it nothing has.

--

All I do is work with virtual files: binary-image stream restoration,
at its basic -- I do not do hibernation files, or various OS stream

If you've a trashed laptop, that's that. If, and thus, you've a
working HD, to consequently salvage by pulling it from the otherwise
trashed laptop, that makes that: the trashed computer's HDD just works
if you can physically can make the interface.

Windows 10 is going to run with NT filesystem. Interface with that
HDD's filesystem, say from a USB docking station, with any version of
Windows, it will see it well enough to navigate to get what you want
from My Pictures. (If you have a rough and ready PC desktop handy,
run a SATA interface to the HDD, provided it's within your MB's
standards.)

An image restoration file is for an active HDD partition and booting
purposes. Microsoft has their Level securities, written into the core
of the OS, and low-level access is critically denied to some of their
files while it's running.

That is what causes the purpose of a binary-stream program: to get at
those protected files while the Microsoft is -Not- running. It's the
only thing that works with Microsoft, outside of Microsoft's own fun
and games and schemes.

Like everything, you, thus, must put on your FearLess T-Shirt.

Except know that it has gotten worse. Commercial, Peter Norton Ghost,
which Symantec bought when Peter Norton got out early, to leave it all
behind, was shortly after released as Symantec's Ghost ENTERPRISE. It
was the only imagery software, I'm aware, that you could go into and
physically edit an image.

But you're not doing that, booting into another OS platform,
fearlessly through a selective partition activation arbitrator,
commonly, off a floppy, USB, or optical device (with relative crap
imagery software compared to Ghost Enterprise).

What you're doing is copying pictures off a HDD. A relatively simple
operation, all else that can go wrong and doesn't considered.