Old April 17th 19, 04:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Make it Stop

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 00:10:40 +0200, Filip454
wrote:

Low HDD temperature is the biggest MYTH of computer world.

Temperature of your HDD should be quite high but not too high. Cold
drives tend to fail more often than drives who are kept around 50
degrees Celsius (sometimes even higher) can fail less much less often.

50*9/5
90+32
122

I don't personally like them that hot, although 115+F occasionally
does "happen" in the hot summers without A/C.

110F, under 110F and over 95F is to my liking. It's the only fans I
actually bother with since the equally mythical dawn, I suppose, of a
PC revolution. For me PC cases are now one step above, in the
convenience department, a plywood breadboard with some nails in it to
"strap up" a PC.

CPU fan. Fans go in contained PWR SUPPLY and still decent but hot
CPUs. They're the foremost obvious and above, for the one and only
case fan, in front of the HDD rack array, I personally wouldn't
operate without.

Never been a big fan of failing drives, either, whether or not they're
left in right toasty to crispy to grab aholt. Win some, lose some:
that's what a fanatic is. I stuck with Seagates, early $300 RRL 30Gs,
up until Maxtor's heyday contracts with the U.S. Dept. of Navy, few
IBMs, still cycling into some large T-byte class cheap Saumsungs from
the pre-typhoon devastation that hit the Pacific Rim manufacturing
facilities. Leaving Seagate and Western Digital's mainstream, as
they've been all along, among offerings as well these days. I pretty
much now favor a latter popularity to a rocksolid 5400 WD.

For a personal matrix, then, what I'm looking for is 10 years HDD life
expectancy. That's the better sort of luck, than not, I feel I have
had overall with HDD. Right tickles my fancy, it does, when drives up
and decide to last that long. (I've probably also owned enough failed
drives to hope the good memories aren't too biased against what would
have went, over time, over the shoulder.)

All that's left is up and coming larger capacity SSDs, an alternative
aspect, in their own right, to pure 2T+ drives with some time now, a
few years, to report improved reliability in select industry sectors,
with new physical platter tracking methodology employed for up to a
likes of 8T and a few 12T's. They occasionally do as well surface for
absurd sale prices, closer than not to $100, to be wondrous
considerations of sheer bulk capacity.

Not that I've studied them extensively enough for a better bias
towards a purchase;- I'm just kinda idling along, eyeballing the
$50-ish 512G SDD offerings. Might switch for some study time with
larger platter sizes and an aim to make killing a monstrosity a worthy
endeavor to attempt among better buys.