Old April 16th 19, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Filip454[_2_]

Default Make it Stop

W dniu 2019-04-16 oÂ*19:31, Flasherly pisze:
A connector, in the back of the computer, a little jiggling around
things, and do I really deserve all this?

The HDD transfer issues, I thought heat related, were not.

Uh-oh. Danger Will Rogers: HDD failure.

Tracked it down, in Windows' reports, to a "page issue", an incessant
slew of worsening errors. Page issue, though the swapfile wasn't per
se mentioned - if it looks and walks like a duck - then it's probably
the pagefile, then.

Kicked in the HDD's SMART, too, I'd imagine where there weren't any
errors, for a UDMA CRC firmware error condition. Which I have now.
Sort of.

Looked it over on the WEB -- sure why not -- let us commence to
cleaning up connectors. Used a hard pen eraser to clean the HDD SATA
connects and electrical parts cleaner to mate (reinsert a few times)
the HDD's connection with a new locking SATA cable.

That fixed it for back to smooth as silk data transfers. No more
system glitches and wackiness due to the swap file on a partition to
that particular drive.

Annoying though. See you buy a car with a computer, and it kicks out
a ROM code, maybe because you didn't change an air filter or top up
the oil. You fix the condition, reset the car's memory chip, and
merrily tool off to go about your business.

A HDD sticks it in there. Permanently. Maybe an advertising gimmick,
make you think imperfectly, look at that same reported error for the
rest of the HDD's life. Maybe the HDD manufacturer thinks you'll get
so tired of it, you'll buy another. Maybe because it's a "hard" drive
it needs "hard" errors, too.

Anyway, major code amber didn't escalate into red-alarm security data
issue, once I'd stuck that HDD into a docking station for better
electrical connections and watched it perform flawless.

Keep your and cables and HDD contacts clean if your computer HDD
activity light stays on too long and programs turn weird.

Low HDD temperature is the biggest MYTH of computer world.

Temperature of your HDD should be quite high but not too high. Cold
drives tend to fail more often than drives who are kept around 50
degrees Celsius (sometimes even higher) can fail less much less often.

--
Filip454
]