Old April 16th 19, 08:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Congratulations! You are King of All Idiots' Day Fixes

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 21:35:12 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

What is the maximum temperature of PCs now, about 100C? Boiling water
hot?

-

Yes. Last time I FELT that HOT, not long ago, I was a little
exasperated (****ed off). Either had conductive or soldering wires in
one hand -- in the other hand a 60W soldering iron.

I was fixing an The Exploding Espresso Maker. My Mr. Coffee's (tm)
cap to the boiler unit had exploded, off its threads, shooting itself
into the kitchen ceiling with terrific force, showering me hot water
under great pressure.

I've never had a cup of coffee that woke me up with quite the same
effect.

It was 2A-rated rocker switches, I was subsequently soldering, in-line
to bypass the burnt-out Mr. Coffee control switches, (I'd cut out of
the circuit). They were effectively melting under the coffee unit's
current draw, and I had to go to Hong Kong for similar 10-amp grade
inline rockers.

Anyway, second time up trying to get a 2amp switch, I grabbed the
soldering unit metal shaft, not the tip. I almost immediately
realized, that if I'm a ****ed tough guy, it won't keep my thumb from
displaying a burn blister for a couple weeks or more.

Did a beautiful job on the Mr. Coffee, though once I'd completely
disassembled it and modified, removed a significant portion of its
plastic casing with tin-snips, to where the boiler's top-half is
exposed. Home-made Italian grade, barista machine. (Replaced the
exploded cap with a complete espresso unit, one model up, used "as
new" from L.A. vis Ebay, for under $20. It was as-new and the cap
threads were almost a perfect replacement fit. No steam escapes).

Anyway, that's how I learned to exactly compare what it feels like to
stick a cable into the cooler fan of an AMD FX-4100, and then grab
aholt exactly where the copper heatwicking is the same temperature as
the CPU.