Old June 6th 17, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Bank the core eight in the socket

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 12:20:39 -0700 (PDT), Thomas Lake
wrote:

I paid $3495.00 for an 8MB (not GB or TB!) hard drive once. It was
worth every penny back then (1979)
Tom L

-
Thanks. That's also what I was thinking when the OP mentioned 10M.
Most MFM drives were 20M, those I recall encountering, and a 30M RLL
thereafter eclipsed them. I'd heard people talking about smaller
capacity, before my time, so I'd never encountered or actually saw a
10-inch plattered drives or such things. DOS was somewhat new and all
the rage. By a couple years with my first and only pre-assembled
computer, an MS-DOS machine, I'd learned to re-build and update,
swapping out the processor, a 4.7MHz Intel 8088 to an 8Mhz NEC V30,
added a HDD for additionally running programs aside from two 360K
floppies, and an ISA-slotted AST Rampage, for rudimentarily swapping
in and out programs through a 64K UMB segmented window, above 640K,
through 2M memory populated on the AST (pre-EMS3 standards).

A new 30M RLL cost me $275, the two-floppy/monochrome Hyundai PC,
$600, although I forgot what I got out of it when I sold it to a
technician at his CRT television repair shop. I had by then contacted
what's know as "Build Fever", spending the next several successive
technological advancements pouring over quick-'n'-hot build updates,
I'd flip to sell to then a ready and willing market, in order to cover
my next advancements.

Eventually of course a point arrived, where sensibleness indicated
either I slow down or quit. That willingness exhibited by people to
buy, changed to turn into to a great whining;- they wanted it all and
all for nothing, including unreasonable and mean demands of
tech-support calls at any hour, night or day.

So I checked in and treated myself in preparation for slowing down.
The mollification of pain I experienced during treatment included an
offset, to learn the stock market. Whereupon having done so, within a
few short years, I was back and up on my feet again, once more at the
extremity, utterly cured and either taking, or losing, profits by as
much a $20,000 a day on trade instruments.

-
Old Greek saying: They don't get that way for nothing.