Old April 22nd 06, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Heatsink installation

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:33:18 GMT, "Travis King"
wrote:

I have the new Sempron and motherboard because I already ordered it three
days ago, but here's my question. My $40 Zalman heatsink instructions say
to spread the thermal paste on the CPU. I thought you were supposed to just
put a dab of it on on these CPU's and the pressure of the heatsink would
spread out the paste. Is this correct or should I follow the directions and
go ahead and spread the paste? Would it hurt anything if I spread the
paste? Thanks.

The dab technique came from one particular goop
manufacturer. I'm sure they believe it works best for their
stuff. Most tests I've read suggest there isn't much
difference at max temps. The "big" measured differences are
at idle temps. And they aren't much. I think the real
issue is not to use too much of whatever you put on.