Old April 21st 06, 11:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Heatsink installation

"Jester" wrote in message
"Travis King" wrote in message
I have the new Sempron and motherboard because I already ordered it three
days ago, but here's my question. My $40 Zalman heatsink instructions say
to spread the thermal paste on the CPU. I thought you were supposed to
just put a dab of it on on these CPU's and the pressure of the heatsink
would spread out the paste. Is this correct or should I follow the
directions and go ahead and spread the paste? Would it hurt anything if I
spread the paste? Thanks.

The idea is to get the thinnest coating over the chip. A thick layer
actually makes heat transfer worse. A firend who build pcs told me to put
a small blob on the chip, and then put a freezer bag over your finger and
spread it over the entire surface of the cpu. It should look more like its
been painted than a thick layer og grease. (this is the method I used on
my 4400x2 and its idling at 28C and loaded at about 48C) I've heard of
others using a credit card or similar flat plastic card to spread a thin,
even layer.
The trouble with the blob and squeeze method is that it can leave a fairly
thick layer, and you cant guarentee its spread evenly and left a section
uncovered.
Zalman know their stuff, follow the instructions. (but try not to get your
fingerprints over the mating surfaces, hence using the bag)

Good luck,

J.
(PS, obviously follow earthing precautions before handling the cpu!!)

This is how I did my heatsinks with Athlon XP's:
1. Make sure there are no particles (not even a grain of dust) on either
the core or the heatsink
2. Put a very small dab of thermal grease on the base of the heatsink and
put my finger in a sandwich bag and spread the paste until there's only a
tint on the heatsink to fill up the pits and valleys.
3. Put as thin but even layer on the core of the CPU as possible using a
credit card. I'll sometimes spend ten to fifteen minutes spreading it to
get it as even as I can without going so thin that some of the CPU core is
uncovered.

I assume the procedure is the same only spreading it over the entire
heatspreader or do I just have to spread it over the area the core is at.
(The middle)?