Old June 19th 08, 06:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Default followup on geek squad repair

THERMAL paste? Between the CPU and the heat sink? Why?

Replace the optical drive? Why?

Fix the reported problem? Hah!

See my earlier comments about Geek Squad. On the average, they are worse than
the company wives mentioned in another posting, and far worse than inverters in
terms of flakiness... Ben Myers

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:39:19 GMT, "J.Lef" wrote:

I received my gateway laptop back today after two weeks. The
complaint was a backlight that would sporadically not work.
It was under extended warranty, and this is what they said they did.
( I didnt send them the hard drive by the way. )

"adjusted video cables and reapplied thermal paste. Replaced optical
drive. Unit tests functional."

So I can see why I had the sporadic problem with the back light,
but they couldnt answer what was done to prevent this from reoccuring, since
this is the second time it has happened.
Also, the optical drive(cd, dvd combo), was barely used, and never
had a problem.
I wonder what they saw to feel they had to replace this.
Also, is thermal paste something that would get reapplied if done
correctly from the beginning?

Thanks for any info or comments.

Jerry