Old August 10th 04, 09:42 PM
Matt Fletcher

At the moment I have all my data on the fractionally larger drive.
Would you recommend I shrink the last partition a little to match the other
drive?
And if so would they have to be exactly the same size down to the
kilobyte/byte.

Or do I just let the raid card take car of it and follow its manual (when I
get one)

"Toshi1873" wrote in message
In article Xns9534B5D32CE3DfletchermattREMOVETH@
217.32.252.50,
says...
"Thomas Wendell" wrote in
:

IIRC it will build the RAID array using the smallest disk in the
setup.... Any extra space on the bigger disk is just lost....

Thanks for the reply

That would be superb if it did. Is this a standard feature on all raid
cards?

Yes, because the RAID controller will present the
mirrored drive pair to the operating system as a single-
disk. (Windows won't even see the two disks as separate
units.)

If you were talking about Linux Software RAID, it's
possible to do some more advanced things, like using the
extra space on the larger drive for a scratch partition.